Here, Dr Emma Pauncefort offers her first snapshot of how the world wide web has led to the reimagining of age-old media, starting with the reference resource and human endeavours to document ‘knowledge’. She takes as her historical example the titanic C18th enlightenment project which was the Encyclopédie and reflects how Wikipedia’s mission compares with the earlier collaborative vision to share knowledge for the good of mankind for time anon. (There are of course a whole number of other historical examples we could draw on here for reference, many outside of a western context.)
Other videos in Module 2:
- Introducing the Digital & Literacy
- What is our Digital World?
- What does our Digital World contain?
- A lot of Information (or is that data?)
- Media Reinvented Online: News
- Media Invented Online: Social Media
- Introducing the Concept Digital Literacy
- Digital Literacy (the theory)
- Digital Literacy (in practice)
- Opportunities and Challenges: Digital Literacy and Society
- Opportunities and Challenges as Creators, Consumers, Teachers & Learners