This video offers an overview of how social media fits into our narrative of the reinvention of conventional media online. Starting with the 1990s and MSN and MySpace, Dr Emma Pauncefort charts the meteoric development of today’s household names and outlines the key characteristics defining social media in 2020, with especial attention paid to the central role we each play as individuals. She discusses the demographic make-up of different platforms and ends with querying how far social media’s mission statements and claims to be a force for good hold true, especially if we do not how to productively engage with these platforms.
More videos from Module 2:
- Introducing the Digital & Literacy
- What is our Digital World?
- What does our Digital World contain?
- A lot of Information (or is that data?)
- Media Reinvented Online: Wikipedia and the Reference Resource
- Media Reinvented Online: News
- Introducing the Concept Digital Literacy
- Digital Literacy (the theory)
- Digital Literacy (in practice)
- Opportunities and Challenges: Digital Literacy and Society
- Opportunities and Challenges as Creators, Consumers, Teachers & Learners