Module 4: Digital Creations and Creators
Module 4 of the Digital Literacy Lab for Educators (DLLE) MOOC scrutinises what it means to be a digital creator within the context of netizenship. It strips back to the bare bones what it means to create fairly and responsibly (and legally) whatever the context (i.e. online or offline) whilst exploring the similarities and differences in lifespan and the possible impact on us when we create digital or physical content. This thinking is distilled into a framework and checklist to provide the would-be digital creator with practical steps to take before going to create anything online.
Watch the DLLE Module 4 Videos
Additional Videos in Module 4
- The Power of Creation Online explores in depth the core component of the digital creation framework: the power of creation online. It underlines that impact is not guaranteed but that the potential impact can be huge.
- Thinking Before Creating underlines that thinking is required to go into digital creation fully aware of potential repercussions and the potential mismatch between our intentions and others’ perceptions.
- Digital Creations and Legal Responsibilitiesones hones in on the legal aspects cutting across the digital creation framework with the aim of ensuring digital creators, no matter what their context, do not expose themselves to legal consequences.
- An Exercise in Checking, Double-Checking, and Triple-Checking offers a walk-through of one way in which you can ensure you use others’ media fairly in your online (and indeed) offline creations. This exercise seeks to point to the legwork individuals need to do when going online (rather than relying on algorithms and digital tools to do the work for us).
- Digital Lifespans thinks about elephants and the lifespan of digital content within the context of the individual i.e. how we are impacted by our digital creations, whether they are short- or long-lived.
Further Study Content
- When Online Shaming goes too far, Jon Ronson, TED.
- A Letter on Justice and Open Debate, Harper’s Magazine, 2020.
- Did the internet kill privacy?, CBS News, 2011.
- Becoming Responsible Digital Creators, Wakelet Collection.
- Creating and Consuming Online, Wakelet Collection.