Earlier this month, as part of the DEL4ALL video interview series, Dr Alex Grech was in conversation with Professor Dominic Orr, the Component Manager of the Atingi platform and the Education Management Adjunct Professor at University Nova Gorica, Slovenia. In a wide-ranging discussion, they explore how the mainstream education system in a moment of crisis can be bootstrapped through innovation and resilience.
About the Interview
Dominic Orr works with various international, European and national agencies on digital higher education, new skills demands, open badges and open recognition, open licencing and Open Educational Resources (OER).
- The education system has not changed in the past decades, and Open Educational Resources (OER), the freely accessible, openly licensed text, media, and other digital assets, might be the key for teaching, learning, and assessing, as well as for research purposes.
- Open Technology and OER can play a valuable role in education by adapting recourses to individual ambition.
- One determined digital learning unit can not be a single source of a learning experience.
- The atingi learning platform focuses on providing learning opportunities in the African continent using OER to build the context relevant to their specific needs.
- Atingi uses a Learning Management system to provide different learning opportunities structured around digital assets for various purposes. However, the platform is not the predominant part of the learning, as learning always will be a social enterprise.
- Blockchain technologies, such as open digital badges and certificates, are essential for recognition when completing a short course.
- Atingi is also working on decentralised identities making sure that the platform will not be the only means of learning by connecting more to the labour market needs.
Watch the Video
Watch Dominic Orr explaining the main aspects of a good quality innovative education system.
Other interviews to watch
An Inclusive EdTech ecosystem for the 21st Century with Märt Aro
Technological tools and their potential use in the educational sector with Glib Konotop
Analysing learning management systems during Covid-19 with Dr Paul Comyn
Affordable technologies for the public good with Klaus Conrad
Join the DEL4ALL community
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to join the DEL4ALL expert community and contribute to research on how emerging technologies may transform the future of education for the public good.